Multi-GPU Gen 3 PCIe Expansion Chassis
ExpressBox 3600 provides the optimum features for supporting world class High Performance Computing (HPC) applications that demand ‘mission critical’ features such as N+1 redundant power and cooling and high speed PCIe Gen 3 x16 connectivity. The EB3600 is ideal for running applications on multiple GPUs.
- Ten total or nine double wide peripherals; one to two hosts
- PCIe Gen 3 x16 (128Gbps) for all connections
- Optimized for server class (passively cooled) GPUs
- Magma Express I/O System Management is included in all configurations
- Design optimized for GPU applications – concentrate your HPC investment in a chassis that will support full GPU performance utilization
- Low-profile host card allows for easy installation into low-profile computers
- Supports peer-to-peer transfers between cards in the expansion chassis to provide full bandwidth potential among I/O cards
- Supports daisy-chaining of fan-out configuration of multiple expansion chassis
- Passive host interface; no PCIe switch on host link cards provides lowest latency possible
- Two 1200W/1500W hot swappable power supplies provided standard. Up to two more can be configured, for support of up to 4800W/6000W
- Direct flow through air cooling is provided for passively cooled server class GPUs
- Partitioned backplanes and split power options also available. Please contact your sales rep for more information.
|Backplane||EB3600-10: ten peripheral slots and two host link slots (All Gen 3 x16)|
|Interconnect Bandwidth||PCIe Gen 3 x16: 128 Gbits/sec to all peripherals and host link|
|Dimensions||16.8” Wide x 7” High (4U) x 22.125” Deep|
|Host side||Any PCIe based host-equipped computer (preferably Gen 3 x16)|
|1200 W/1500W PSU||Additional Hot swappable 1200W@120V/ 1500W@240V AC power PSU. Can be added to base models above. Up to four total (4800W@120V/ 6000W@240V)|
|Ambient Temperature||0º to 50º C|
|Storage Temperature||-55º to 125º C|
|Relative Humidity||0% to 90% non-condensing|
|FCC||Class A Verified|
|Supported Operating Systems|
What is the memory requirement for a certain host computer when using the EB3600 unit running GPUs?
It is recommended that systems be configured with a minimum of 8 GB of system memory, with a suggestion of 16 or 32 GB is appropriate for most of today’s applications and operating systems. GPUs require additional system memory to support memory copy operations, and the system memory should add to the base memory configuration, whatever BAR (Base Address Register) space memory that each GPU requires. An NVIDIA K40, for example, requires 16 GB of BAR1 space and if a base system is configured with 16 GB of system memory, the user should add 16 GB (32 GB total) of system memory PER K40 added through expansion. If the user is configuring 4 K40s, for instance, this would require 64GB additional system memory above and beyond what the base operation system and application requires. For 4 K40s and base system memory of 16GB, this would be 80Gb of total system memory to support the base application as well as the GPU memory requirement. NOTE: Always check the minimum system requirement of the GPU. This information is available from the vendors / manufacturers website.
What is the size of the PCI Express Host Card?
The host interface is standard half height/half length. Length: 7 inches (17.78 cm) Height: 2.25 inches (5.72 cm).
What is the cable interface?
Magma has designed a special Gen 3 cable with improved signaling characteristics over previous generation cables. This x8 or x16 cable interface allows true 0 bit error rate transmission for ultimate performance at Gen 3 signaling rates.
What length is the host cable?
1 meter and 2 meter cable lengths are available as ordering options.
How many boards are supported in the expansion chassis?
For the ExpressBox 3600-10, up to 10 peripherals are supported. For double wide (GPU) usage, up to 9 GPUs are supported).
What types of GPUs are supported?
Any PCI Express supported GPU may be used. The ExpressBox 3600 supported NVIDIA Tesla, GeForce and Quadro GPUs and full access to all GPUs is provided at the rear of the chassis. AMD FirePro and Intel Phi co-processors are supported.
What type of cooling is provided for peripheral boards?
The chassis provides N+ 1 redundant cooling fan. 4 fans are supplied, each with 175 cfm.
Are there any limitations to the types of boards that can be used in the ExpressBox 3600?
Although optimized for double wide GPU modules, any PCI Express board may be used within the system. The ExpressBox 3600 support Gen 3, Gen 2 and Gen 1 boards of any data width (x1/x4/x8/x16).
What size is the enclosure?
The enclosure is 16.8” (42.7 cm) wide x 22.125 (56.2cm) deep x 7” (17.8 cm) high (4U).
How are the power supplies configured?
Up to 4 1200/1500W hot swappable AC input PSUs may be configured. For 120V operation, each PSU is specified for 1200W; For 240V operation, each PSU is specificed for up to 1500W. At 120V, this provides a total of 4800W, or 3600W N+1 redundant. For 240V operation, total power is 6000W or 4500W N+1 redundant.
How many PCI Aux cables are provided for peripheral/GPU use?
Nine pairs of PCI AUX cables are supplied with the system, with each slot being supported by two 8-pin PCI AUX connectors. Total cable pairs: 18.